On April 20, 1909, Woodward Avenue in Detroit made historical past when it turned a paved street. Through the years, it has been described because the “world’s first concrete freeway.”
The Woodward Avenue street development, carried out by Wayne County, got here at a time when a number of streets within the Motor Metropolis had been lined with brick pavers, with wooden, floor granite, asphalt, grime or clay typically used.
The part included one mile between Six Mile Highway and Seven Mile Highway. It price $1,400 to assemble, which included about $1,000 in state funds.
The road is known as after Augustus B. Woodward, a decide who led the town of Detroit starting in 1805, throughout Michigan’s early years as a territory. Woodward was appointed by President Thomas Jefferson to handle the territory.
The street was changed in 1922 by the broad thoroughfare that exists right now. Sections of Woodward Avenue in Detroit have included avenue vehicles through the years. It’s also residence to the town of Detroit governmental headquarters.
In 1910, auto baron Henry Ford constructed a plant on the road close to Woodward Avenue within the metropolis of Highland Park. Total, Woodward Avenue extends 27 miles from Detroit’s riverfront north to the town of Pontiac, taking in communities resembling Ferndale, Nice Ridge, Birmingham and Royal Oak, amongst others.
In 1957, a Michigan historic marker was erected on the Woodward Avenue web site on the grounds of Detroit’s Palmer Park.
GET THE MORNING HEADLINES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX